West Bank, Palestine
Coordinates: 31.709444, 35.205556
Hz. Dawud’s عليه اسلام Wells (King David Wells) are three water cisterns located within the grounds of the Catholic Action Center, just a few minutes walk from the Church of the Nativity.
It is believed that these three small wells are mentioned in the biblical sources.
Hz. Dawud عليه اسلام had sent his soldiers there to fetch him a drink during a battle with the Philistines.
The wells, which are still in use, are related to the place where Hz. Dawud’s عليه اسلام soldiers broke through the non-believers lines in order to fetch him drinking water.
It is also believed that Hz. Dawud عليه اسلام once drank from the natural spring that pre-dated the wells during his battle with the non believers.
In the ancient times passers-by and pilgrims used to quench their thirst and rest their weary feet on this site as well.
When the wells were excavated in 1885, archeologists discovered remains of a mosaic floor of an ancient Byzantine church and a cemetery dating back to the 5th or 6th century.
Opening hours: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Note: Some of the information in this article comes from Jewish sources.