The Dome of al-Khalili

Built in the early 18th century during Ottoman rule of Palestine in dedication to Shaykh Muhammad al-Khalili, a scholar and sufi shaykh who died in 1734

Jerusalem, Palestine

Coordinates: 31.778353, 35.234897

Mohammad Bek Hafez, an Ottoman Governor of Jerusalem, ordered the building of this dome in 1112 AH/1700 ce.

The dome is located to the northwest of the Dome of the Rock and consists of two rooms, one at the ground level, the other an underground basement.

This dome is also known by the name “Sheikh Al-Khalili Dome” after a Sufi Sheikh that used to lead prayers there.

Today, the dome is used as an office for Al-Aqsa Mosque’s Construction Committee.